University of East London Head Basketball Coach
London Lions and UEL are seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated and professional individual to enhance and continue the development of the joint London Lions, UEL and East London All Stars basketball programme. This is a unique opportunity to coach the number one Basketball University in the Southern BUCS region, the East London All Stars NBL team and work on the coaching staff of the London Lions professional men’s team at the elite level of the sport in the UK.
Basketball is a focus sport at UEL. Focus sport designation results in sports scholarships being used to attract, recruit and develop high performance players, along with the opportunity to sustain UEL as the number one BUCS University for basketball in the South, establish UEL as the leading University programme nationally and cement its place in the Basketball England performance pathway. UEL boasts an array of basketball partners and basketball talent, and the coach will be a key figure in creating and enabling greater collaboration and development.
The successful applicant will be working directly for the London Lions and will be expected to coach the UEL Men’s 1st team (including individual player development sessions) and the East London All Stars National League team, whilst also assisting the London Lions at BBL level. They will also oversee the overall coaching provision to our University teams (4 Men’s, assistants, volunteers) as well as directly supporting the recruitment of future basketball players to UEL.
The coaching role will combine team and individual coaching throughout the week that will involve daytime and evening sessions (incl, weekends) details of which will be agreed jointly between the London Lions, UEL, East London All Stars, players, the coach and the club committee.
- 2 year contract
- £24,000 – £29,000 per annum
- Based at UEL SportsDock, E16 2RD
- Provide coaching, direction and professional guidance to the UEL basketball club (men) and the UEL designated National League team (East London All-Stars).
- Develop, monitor and support basketball players to a professional standard of play
- Recruitment of future players to UEL.
- Proactively work with our basketball partners (England Basketball, Newham All Stars Sports Academy, Barking Abbey,) to secure mutually beneficial working relationships
- Work as Assistant Coach to the London Lions BBL team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Head Coach of UEL designated National League team (East London All Stars) working in full collaboration with external partners (NASSA) to support UEL athlete development.
- Assist in the running and coaching of the London Lions BBL team and assist in the creation of a seamless player pathway.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a long-term basketball development plan for UEL.
- Lead, track and report on the individual development of basketball players athletically and academically in conjunction with the wider UEL High Performance Sport Team.
- Manage UEL basketball teams competing in BUCS and assisting the Sports Development Unit in organising BUCS participation.
- In conjunction with the High Performance Sport Team identify, recruit and support talented basketball players in line with the High Performance Sport Strategy and allocated sport scholarship budget against specific performance criteria.
- Support the UELSports basketball club committee in organisation, coordination, communication and planning.
- To proactively develop our relationship with schools, colleges and partner clubs, especially basketball academy programmes, London Lions, Newham All Stars Sports Academy, Barking Abbey School and West Ham Football Foundation and Premier League 4 Sport.
- Work proactively alongside the UEL High Performance support team, including other coaches, S&C coaches, video analysts, nutritionists, physiotherapists, etc. to ensure optimum development of players in the high performance programme
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- To be a current Level 3 licenced coach
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- An understanding of the principles of sports development A, I
- A good knowledge of the structure of basketball in the UK A, I
- Coaching experience within a club and elite environment A, I
- Ability to research, develop, create and implement a delivery plan A, I
- An understanding of the HE & FE sporting sector A, I
- Experience coaching at national level at home or abroad A, I
- Experience playing at senior national level at home or abroad A, I
- Full clean driving licence A
- MiDAS or D1 driving licence A
SKILLS, ABILITIES and PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Flexible approach to work A, I
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a friendly
and approachable manner A, I
- Desire to develop their own coaching ability A, I
23rd July 12pm applications close
30th July proposed interview date at SportsDock
Please send your CV with a covering email to Vince Macaulay – email@example.com