London Lions
Manchester Giants

The London Lions completed a winning week by sealing third place in the BBL Championship with a 90-80 victory at Manchester Giants, on Sunday.

It was a third win in five days for Nikhil Lawry's side and means that his team will face Cheshire Phoenix when the play-offs begin this week.

The first leg will be played at the Copper Box on Thursday before Lions make the trip to the north-west on Sunday.

Isaiah Reese continued his scintillating form as he hit six triples on the way to a game-high 32 points, adding eight assists and five rebounds in a 40-minute performance. Lorenzo Cugini was also on form from outside the three-point arc, scoring five long-range efforts on the way to 17 points, adding four boards.

British forward Jamell Anderson led a Giants team who finished fourth in the final table with 26 points and four rebounds with Tyrik Armstrong adding 16 points, seven assists and four boards.

Reese got the visitors off to the perfect start with back-to-back baskets, and Lions led from tip-to-buzzer as two triples from Cugini and one from Martin saw them 13-7 ahead at the midway stage of the first period.

Cugini opened the second period scoring to make it a 15-point game and another Reese triple saw Lions ahead 34-22 before Chris Tawiah joined in the dunk-fest. Cugini scored another from the Land of Plenty to put Lions 15 ahead going into the final three-and-a-half minutes of the half.

Cugini hit another from downtown as Lions opened the second half with seven straight points before Anderson scored five points in a similar run by Giants. A turnaround jump shot from Julian Washburn ended the run and triples from Martin and Reese kept the visitors ahead. Reese hit another trey to make it a seven point game but McKnight beat the clock to bring his side within two and Lions went into the final break leading 64-62.

Kelley hammered another dunk before Reese put some daylight between the teams as his three-pointer made it 81-72 heading into the final four minutes. Cugini made it a ten point game with three minutes on the clock but Giants had one more run as GB captain Dan Clark - hit back-to-back threes to make it a four point game heading into the final 90 seconds.

Martin and Reese both split pairs of free-throws before Reese went four-from-four at the foul line to wrap up the win.

Gallery Highlights

No items found.